Roof scooter is the name for a scooter that has a roof for protection from snow and rain. There is an open cabin mounted on the vehicle which is equipped with an integrated windscreen and a windshield wiper.
The fist roof scooter was designed by BMW. BMW C1 with 15 hp came already 2000 on the market. It represents the whole new interpretation of a scooter concept and it was a new field for BMW in the motorcycle sector. Since March 2001 BMW C1 200 has also been on sale.
The basic idea is
- better accident protection by means of safety belts and a safty cell, which does not require helmets
- weather protection from rain and snow.
BMW C1 should combine maneuverability of a scooter with the safety of a car in the form of a motorcycle. BMW proved by many evaluated accidents, in which BMW C1 was involved that by no injured driver had been diagnosed his head injuries.
BMW C1 is now considered a cult vehicle for unconventional people, smart business people and discreet ladies.
Benelli Adiva is a name of a roof scooter offered by the Italian manufacturer Benelli from 2001 to 2006. It is a vehicle with largely conventional scooter technology. But its obvious feature is a folding roof which together with the relatively large front panel / windscreen, windscreen wipers and side wind deflectors offers particularly weather protection. In contrast to the visually similar appearance of BMW C1, this roof scooter does not possess a safety cell. This roof scooter requires helmet obligation.
- A faulty operation of the stator system can lead to the defect of the overload protection.
- High price.
- Wind sensitivity.
- Reverse gear is less comfortable than on other scooters.
- Relatively high noise pollution of the driver. Remedy could be created after installation of the noise reduction kit.
- High empty weight of 185 kg for a scooter.
- Partial deficient quality of individual components or assemblies (in particular, of the front axle bearings, wear-resistant seat covers, low breaking strength of the plastic coverings, poor electrical plug connections and switches).
- Insufficient garage support, high maintenance costs and repair costs.
- Unreasonably high prices of spare parts.
Photographs are taken from:
Cycle Top with the Motorcycle Roof System!